POSTNATAL PHYSIOTHERAPY EDMONTON
Postnatal Physiotherapy at In Step Physical Therapy: Your Path to Recovery and Wellness after Pregnancy
In Step Physical Therapy is proud to offer comprehensive Postnatal Physiotherapy services designed to help new mothers regain strength after childbirth. Our expert team consists of a nutritionist, personal trainer, and several registered physiotherapists- Giri Srinivasan, a Certified Rost Therapy clinician for pelvic girdle pain during and after pregnancy, Muthuukaruppan Muthiah, Kamal Janakiraman, Pranjali Khairmode, Amee Bhavsar and a pelvic floor physiotherapist- Mohana Priya Thayalan, Certified in Women’s Health Physiotherapy, Pregnancy, Pelvic Girdle Pain and the Pelvic Floor is here to guide you through this new phase of your life, focusing on your physical health and overall well-being.
Understanding Postnatal Physiotherapy
Postnatal physiotherapy, also known as postpartum physiotherapy, targets the physical issues that can arise after childbirth. With our dedicated physiotherapy team, we’re committed to helping you regain your strength, alleviate discomfort, and adapt to the physical demands of caring for your newborn.
In Step Physical Therapy offers a unified approach to prenatal and postnatal physiotherapy. During pregnancy, we focus on maintaining your health and comfort through personalized exercise plans, pain management techniques, and preparation for labour. Following childbirth, we focus on your recovery, providing tailored exercises, posture correction, and specialized therapy for common postnatal conditions. This integrated care model ensures that you receive consistent, supportive, and comprehensive care throughout your pregnancy and into the postnatal period, making your transition from pregnancy to motherhood as smooth as possible.
Why Choose In Step Physical Therapy for Postnatal Physiotherapy
- Skilled and Compassionate Care: Our therapists are highly trained in postnatal physiotherapy and committed to providing compassionate, patient-centred care.
- Personalized Treatment Plans: We understand that every woman’s postnatal recovery journey is unique. We offer personalized treatment plans to meet your needs and health goals.
- Safe and Effective Therapy: We adhere to the highest safety standards, ensuring that our therapeutic interventions are safe, effective, and aligned with the latest clinical guidelines.
- Holistic Approach: We believe in a holistic approach to postnatal recovery, considering all aspects of your health and wellness as we design your treatment plan.
- Family-centred Care: We educate and support family members, helping them understand how to assist with their recovery and baby care tasks.
- Infrastructure: Private treatment rooms, a fully-equipped gym with a wide range of fitness equipment tailored for postnatal exercises, specialized equipment for pelvic floor rehabilitation, childcare facilities, a comfortable and safe environment and proper accessibility facilities such as ramps and elevators.
Added Benefits of Postnatal Exercise at In Step
- Restores physical health
- Improves blood circulation
- Strengthens abdominal and spinal muscles
- Accelerates constriction of the uterus
- Improves sleep quality
- Relieves stress
- Prevention of depressive disorders such as postnatal depression
- Improved sense of well-being
- Reduced body weight
- Stimulates lactation
- Improves stamina levels
- Enhanced ability and capacity to implement physical activity consistently
- Social activity – exercising with other mothers may provide support and boost morale
- Improves cardiovascular and bone health
Our Postnatal Physiotherapy Services
At In Step Physical Therapy, we offer a diverse range of postnatal physiotherapy services:
- Postnatal Body Assessment: We conduct a thorough postnatal body assessment to understand your current physical condition and create a tailored rehabilitation plan.
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation: Our therapists provide targeted exercises and advice to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles, helping to manage issues such as urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
- Postnatal Exercise Programs: We design customized postnatal exercise programs to strengthen your core, improve your cardiovascular fitness, and boost your overall strength and stamina. It also includes manual therapy and stretching exercises.
- Posture Correction and Ergonomics: Our therapists guide maintaining good posture during baby care activities and offer ergonomic advice to prevent discomfort and injury.
- Diastasis Recti Management: We provide specialized therapy for diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal muscles), a common postnatal condition.
- Pain Management: We offer effective strategies and exercises to alleviate common postnatal discomforts, such as back pain, pelvic pain, and breast engorgement.
Postnatal conditions treated at In Step
We regularly assist new mothers in addressing a wide range of postnatal conditions, helping them navigate the recovery process with expert care. These conditions include:
- Urinary Incontinence: Changes in the body during pregnancy and delivery can lead to involuntary leakage of urine, a condition known as urinary incontinence.
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse occurs when the muscles and tissues supporting the pelvic organs weaken, causing one or more pelvic organs to drop or press into the vagina.
- Postpartum Depression: Although primarily a mental health condition, postpartum depression can manifest in physical symptoms such as fatigue, aches, and pains.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The swelling during pregnancy can put pressure on the median nerve in the wrists, leading to symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, such as numbness, tingling, or pain in the hands and wrists.
At In Step Physical Therapy, our specialized postnatal physiotherapy services are designed to effectively manage and treat these conditions, promoting faster recovery and better overall health after childbirth.
Trust In Step Physical Therapy to support your postnatal recovery. Our dedicated team is here to help you navigate this transformative phase of your life, empowering you to regain your strength, boost your confidence, and focus on the joy of motherhood.
Postnatal therapy can improve new mothers’ health outcomes, including enhanced physiological well-being, mood, and overall quality of life. Therefore it would be beneficial for the mother to take up postnatal therapy.
The treatment plan is tailor-made based on the needs of each person; therefore the duration of each session varies. Please consult with our therapist in case of any uncertainties.
Educate & Empower Yourself With Our Exclusive Videos